Gmail is the email platform made by Google. A system available in web format or in the form of apps for phones and tablets with which to manage e-mail, receive, send and organize everything related to mails. Its new version has arrived, full of changes and novelties designed to make it easier to use and offer more comfort.
The latest update to Gmail serves to improve both the design and functions of this platform, adding more tools that streamline processes. At the same time, it makes working with emails much easier.
Users turn to this Google system for its intuitive use and compatibility with emails from different platforms, allowing you to use profiles from Outlook, Yahoo! and similar.
Don’t know or can’t update or activate the new Gmail interface in its new version? If so, this step-by-step guide explains everything you need to know to renew. We give you the guidelines to apply to the update in both PC and smartphones and also detail all the new features and benefits it brings with all of them.
Steps to update and activate the new version of Gmail
The steps for updating and activating the new version of Google Gmail depend on the device you’re using. In this section we are going to explain what you should do both on your PC and if you are using an Android or iOS smartphone.
Update Gmail on a PC or computer
If you sign in on a PC, to have the new credentials and change the view to the new version of Gmail you just have to access their website and login as usual. If you don’t see the renewed version, there may be some kind of issue. Then follow these steps:
- Log in to your regular web browser and enter the Gmail website by entering the following URL: https://mail.google.com/mail/
- Now enter the email address or phone number linked to the account you want to sign in with. Click “Next”.
- In a similar way, enter the password now, remembering to respect capital letters. Click on “Next” again.
- If you have activated the login in 2 steps, you will now have to take the linked smartphone for this. Do it and click on the notification that appears to accept the login.
- Once inside Gmail, go to the top right and click on the gear-shaped icon.
- Look through the options in the drop-down and click the one called “Try the new Gmail” or “Activate the new Gmail”. If it doesn’t appear, you have the newest version available.
On Android and iOS mobile devices
On Android and iOS devices, there are a few special points to consider. iOS terminals, such as iPhone, are not compatible with the Gmail app, so it is not possible to update, you can only access from the browser or sync accounts.
On the other hand, Android does use the app, and here we explain what to do to update it:
- Open the Google Play Store by clicking on the icon on your phone.
- Now, click on the three horizontal lines in the search bar to open the options menu.
- Within the drop-down menu, click the “My apps &Games” option.
- Scroll down as many as there are until you find “Gmail”. If a new version is available, a button will appear next to the name with the text “UPDATE”. Click on it.
- Wait for the procedure to finish, and when it’s finished, open the application. You now have the newest version.
If you’ve had to follow these steps on your phone, it’s because you don’t have automatic updates enabled. To avoid having to repeat it for future occasions, do the following:
- Go back to the Play Store.
- Go to the same options menu by clicking on the three-line icon.
- Now scroll down to “Settings” and click there to enter.
- Go to “Automatically update applications” in the list that now appears.
- On the screen that now appears, choose “On any network” or “Wi-Fi only”.
- With this, automatic updates are already activated and Gmail will renew itself.
What are the new features and benefits of the new Gmail update?
The email platform has been renewed, offering a very different design to the original. More curved and much clearer elements predominate in the new interface, but what novelties and advantages does the new update offer us, what are the exact changes that have arrived with this revision?
The aim of this change is that more things can be done from the inbox, without having to enter other menus. As a result, usability has been improved and more extra features have been implemented. We’ll explain all that below:
- Redistribution of sidebars: in addition to having the traditional sidebar on the left, a new sidebar appears on the right. In the first one are the different mailboxes, the Google Hangouts chat and the usual. In the second one you can find Google Keep, Google Calendar and the Google Tasks section; as well as the option to add more complements. You can add tools here.
- Mail organization: when you hover the mouse over any mail in the inbox or outbox, several icons appear that serve to develop different functions. These are all those that are directly accessible, without having to enter other submenus or check:
- “Mark as unread”.
- Overview: When you first access your new Gmail design, you’re given a choice of compact, default, and convenient views. They all differ in the amount of information they reflect on the screen, with both advantages and disadvantages depending on the type of user. The first one leaves only information such as sender or recipient, subject and time; it crowds everything in the tray to show the maximum. The second, also shows the attachments and allows access to them without opening the mail, leaving more space. The third one is similar to the compact one, but does not show as many emails at the same time.
- Secret and expired emails: among the new options available when sending mails, you have the option to mark them as confidential. If you do this, only the recipient will be able to open it and will not be able to resend it, avoiding that it extends beyond where it should. On the other hand, expiration makes an email unreadable when a certain date is passed, even if it is still in the inbox or outbox.
- Automatic and intelligent replies: Taking advantage of AI, Gmail now offers a series of automated replies depending on the type of mail received. When you open it, several options are displayed below to answer, being able to choose the most suitable one by clicking on it, sending an immediate answer without the need to write anything.
- Postpone e-mails: if you have several e-mails that you can’t pay attention to at the moment and you don’t want them to be buried by others that may arrive, you just have to click or click on the clock icon that appears next to it. This way, you can reprogram the time and date that you want to appear again so that, this time if, you read them carefully. This tool helps not to overlook any mail.
- Full integration with Google add-ons: through the taskbar, as we have already indicated, there are a series of add-ons available and expandable. Using this, you can take a greater control and organization of your mails, taking advantage of tools such as Trello or Dropbox, as well as the Calendar or Keep. This way you can avoid making appointments on busy dates, for example.
With all these new features, Gmail offers many more advantages with its new version. A better adapted design, a good set of tools and a reoriented interface to make it easier to access and perform tasks directly. The main advantage, which stands out above the rest, is the time savings that all this brings once you master it. Managing tasks and emails is much faster with the new Google email.