Windows 10 is one of the most modern and efficient versions of Microsoft’s operating system par excellence. It is the layer with which the user can interact with the PC, the entire ecosystem developed by the U.S. company for years to make it much easier to operate a computer, as well as to take advantage of all its capabilities.
With this edition launched in July 2015 in different versions, Microsoft took a step forward to improve the performance of its operating system. A better use of resources, compatibility with new software, libraries and a set of functions also aimed at improving performance on mobile devices.
Millions of users now have a Windows 10 license, although there are those who have not yet enabled their installation, preventing them from enjoying this operating system to the fullest. If you don’t know how to activate Windows 10, this article is for you. In this tutorial we explain what you have to do.
How to activate Windows 10 for free and forever? (Pro and Home Versions)
In order to have a totally official version of this operating system, we are going to give you the steps to activate Windows 10 for free and forever in its two versions, both Pro and Home.
When you install Windows 10 for the first time
If this is the first time you are installing Windows 10 on your computer, the activation is done as follows:
- Change the boot of your computer in the BIOS, indicating as the first drive the DVD player or USB where you have it. You must turn on the PC and press the key to access, then enter the boot menu and adjust the settings.
- Proceed with the installation of Windows 10 as normal, insert a DVD-Rom or USB drive and restart the PC to start the installer.
- After a few first steps with the installation wizard, indicating data such as language, there will be a point where a window with the title “Activate Windows” will appear.
- Write in the available field the 25-digit code that you must have with your license. Then click on “Next”.
- Continue with the installer and you will have W10 validated on your computer.
In case you don’t use the keys to verify Windows 10 during the installation, you have the opportunity to do it once installed. These are the steps you need to follow:
- Log in to the operating system and log in with the Microsoft account that has administrator rights.
- Go to the “Settings” menu. Click the “Start” button at the bottom left and then the gear-shaped icon.
- Within this, go to the “Update and Security” section.
- Now, in the left column, go to the “Activation” submenu.
- On the screen that now appears, click on the option to enter the activation code and, of course, enter it.
- Go ahead and, if prompted, restart your PC.
- Your Windows 10 operating system has already been verified.
With my Microsoft account
Another option for verifying your Windows 10 installation is to use a Microsoft account that is linked to an official operating system license. If you want to activate with it, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your PC and access the operating system with the account that has “Administrator” permissions.
- Once you are inside, click on the “Start” button and click on the gear-shaped button to enter the “Settings” menu.
- In this menu, go to the “Update and Security” section and click on it.
- Inside the new window, look in the left column and click on the “Activation” option.
- After doing this, a panel will appear with several different options, you must choose the “Add an account”.
- Now, enter your validated licensed user profile (email and password). All you have to do is log in.
- The installation is already activated. Process completed.
It is possible that with a major hardware change in between, a message will still appear indicating the need to activate the installation. In this case, go to the Windows 10 troubleshooter.
Download Windows 10 activator without programs using generic keys
Since many users do not want to pay for licenses, or simply refuse to use keys of dubious portals, cracks, triggers, serials and other options, Microsoft makes available to everyone a series of generic keys that allow access to your operating system.
The option of downloading the Windows 10 activator without programs using the generic keys is possible thanks to this initiative of the American company. However, it is important to know that this type of code only allows a temporary access of several days.
- Get a Windows 10 installer. Start by accessing this URL from your browser.
- Once there, click “Download tool now”.
- When you download the file called “MediaCreationTool.exe”, enter the folder where it is and open it.
- Scroll through the wizard until it asks you what to do. There, check the box “Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC” and move on.image 1.
- Choose the three available options to indicate the language, edition, and architecture you want, and move on.
- Now, choose whether you want to use a USB drive or the ISO file to burn to a DVD. In our case, we proceed with the first, “USB Flash Drive”. You first need to insert a USB Flash Drive and then continue.image 1.
- Now let all the necessary files be copied and close the wizard once it is finished.
- Restart the computer.
- Modify the boot of your computer through the BIOS so that it starts by entering the unit that contains the installer that you have elaborated with the tool.
- After this, restart the PC with the USB drive inserted and you will see the installation of the version of W10 that you have indicated (Pro version or Home in our case).image 1.
- Advance in the wizard of this installer until the time comes to enter a key to enable the license. Here, enter one of the following 25-digit codes:
- Windows 10 Home: TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
- Windows 10 Home Single Language: 7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH
- Windows 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
- Windows 10 Enterprise: 7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH
- Now, proceed with the installation as usual and you’re done.
* Remember that these keys are temporary, so if you want an official installation of Windows 10 and totally permanent, you need to pay for the corresponding license or, if not, look for some of the alternatives that circulate on the Internet in the form of activators that you can download for it (not recommended for possible security problems).
How to check if Windows 10 is activated?
You may not know if your Windows 10 installation is officially licensed. It often happens that users do not know if their operating system is really activated or enabled, which can lead to problems if not and run into a warning message.
If you do not know how to check if Windows 10 is activated, here we will explain in detail what you should do. The process won’t take long.
There are two ways, and here we will explain them:
- Start your PC and enter the operating system as usual.
- Log in to the “Desktop” of your account.
- Now, click on the “Start” button and, within the drop-down that appears, click on the gear-shaped button. This takes you to the “Settings” menu.
- Once here, go to the “Update and Security” section.
- Then, in the left-hand side menu, click “Activate” to continue.
- Look at the window on the right. If there is a message indicating the lack of license and the need to enable the system, you know that you have not activated it. Otherwise, your system already has a license.
* The other available option is to use the Windows 10 command prompt. In this case, this is what you have to do:
- Turn on your computer to open the W10 operating system.
- Log in with your profile or with someone who has administrator rights.
- When you are logged in, click on the “Start” button.
- Now, type “CMD” in the small search box.
- Among the results that may appear, click on “Command Prompt” to access the command prompt.
- Within this window that appears, you must enter the following command (without quotes): “slmgr.vbs/xpr” and press “Enter” on our keyboard.
- Wait a bit until a window appears. It will indicate the version of Windows 10 you have installed and also the status of its activation. It will tell you if it is not enabled or, if it is, with what type of license (permanent or temporary).
* If you have used one of Microsoft’s generic keys, this window that appears when you type the command line will also tell you how much time you have left with the temporary enablement.
How can I see the Windows 10 license on my computer?
If at any time you do not locate your official keys and you want to know which is your Windows 10 license, follow the steps below and you will be able to know your keys directly from your computer.
- Press the Windows Start button and type “regedit” in the search bar (without quotes). In this way, you will access the Windows registry in which our password is “hidden”.
- Follow the following path from the left side of the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > SoftwareProtectionPlatform.
- You can see your password next to BackupProductKeyDefault.
What dangers exist if we verify Windows 10 with a “pirate” license?
As indicated above, any user who does not want to pay for the license of Windows 10 can opt for alternative ways beyond the generic keys that Microsoft makes available to the public. On the Internet there are numerous solutions that go through keygens, self-generated keys to facilitate access to activation without having to pay a penny, or even activators that make the system believe that it has a real license, when it is not so.
All these procedures are known as “pirate” licenses, although those that have a dubious origin of legality also enter here. They may seem like the perfect vehicle to enjoy everything this operating system offers without going through the checkout process, but the truth is that not everything is good. There are several dangers if we verify Windows 10 with a pirate license.
The first of these is the intention behind the program you use to enable the system. Many companies specializing in security have carried out exhaustive analyses of different software to reveal that they have lines of malicious code, designed to extract information from computers or even damage them without the user realizing it, or to discover it when it is too late.
Although there are activators known for their good performance, which you can easily download and use even more easily, not all of them have good intentions. Then there’s Microsoft, which can detect the use of illegal licenses and act by blocking.
In this sense, the company is able to completely disable your activation or, if it’s going to get bigger, block the operating system so you can’t use it. If so, it would be necessary to make a major hardware modification, change Microsoft’s account or reinstall the system to regain access, all depending on the degree of severity imposed by the company when penalizing you.
It may seem to be full of advantages, but the reality is very different. In the case of using pirated Windows 10 licenses, you have to be very careful because of the double danger they pose. On the one hand, the author of these can take advantage to affect your computer and, on the other, Microsoft can take steps to cancel it completely.