The existing range of software for mobile devices is very wide and can do almost anything; we have reached a point where technology is a fundamental part of our everyday life. Our smartphone or tablet is capable of doing almost everything necessary to avoid a multitude of tasks. In this way, it is logical to think how important it is to make the system in its most modern version to avoid problems when installing new applications. But, how to update the software of the phone or tablet?
The way to update the software is not always the same, although it is true that the most recommendable thing on the part of the experts is that the system is updated automatically as soon as the notice that indicates the availability arrives. You can ask the user for confirmation, but generally you should not avoid this update because, after all is what we want.
However, there are several ways to achieve this and today you are going to get to know them with this complete guide. It is important that before updating the phone or tablet, we check that there is space available within our device.
If this is not the case, the best thing to do is to start looking for a way to delete an application or remove some of the content to leave free space. Sometimes, some of the updates are critical; that is to say, very important improvements that will solve a specific problem. These should be done immediately to avoid major security problems. So much so that, in the event that the update is very important, although the postponements will be finished installing in a maximum of x days.
How to update the software in Android phones and cell phones?
If you have an Android device, the updates can be done through the data service offered by the phone provider you use. This operating system allows you to update it without having to connect your phone to your computer, so you can do it anywhere, no matter where you are. It is recommended to do it when you connect to a Wi-Fi network.
If you follow the steps below, you can keep your phone in its latest software version:
- Go to your Android phone and click on the “Menu” button.
- Now, look for the “Settings” section.
- Scroll down to the last option (usually), and select “About the phone”.
- Go to the “System Updates” menu.
- If there are no new updates, the message “Your phone is up to date” will appear.
- If this message does not appear, it means that there are new updates available, so your phone will start downloading and installing them automatically, or, depending on the model, you will have a button that says “Update”, “Update Android version” or something similar. Just click it.
The process usually takes a few minutes, sometimes even a few seconds, and it’s usually not necessary to restart the terminal. However, if you don’t find a difference, just do it and go back to the previous menus to verify that the device has now installed the corresponding improvements.
How do I update software on iPhone iOS phones and smartphones?
The iOS software can be upgraded to the latest version when you connect to your computer using iTunes, but it can also be done wirelessly. Don’t forget that before updating your iPhone, you must back up your files so that you don’t lose anything in the event that this process fails. This can be done via iCloud or iTunes.
Updating software on an iPhone wirelessly
If you have decided that you are going to perform the update wirelessly, you must follow the steps below:
- Plug your device into the mains so that it will be charged while the update is in progress.
- Connect it to the Internet through the Wi-Fi network.
- Look for the “Settings” menu and go to the “General” category.
- Once inside, select the “Software Update” option.
- If there is a new update, you will see a red circle with a number indicating which updates are available.
- Click on the “Download and Install” button. You may get a message asking if you want to temporarily delete apps because iOS needs space for the update. You must click “Continue” if you want to continue. You don’t have to worry because iOS will then reinstall any apps that have been deleted.
- You can update it now or leave it for later. If you want to do it now, click on “Install”.
- If, on the other hand, you want to do it at another time, you can click on “Later” and choose between the options “Install tonight” or “Remember later”. Don’t forget to perform step 1 and 2, if you are going to update it at night.
- The device may ask for your code to confirm that you want to install this new software content.
Upgrading iOS Software Using iTunes
If you prefer to use the iTunes application, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer and update the iTunes program to the latest version.
- Now connect your iOS device to your computer.
- Open iTunes and choose the device you want to update.
- Click on the “Summary” option and search and select “Check for Update.
- Click “Download and update.
- You may be asked to enter your device access code to allow new content to be installed.
How to update the mobile phone software for Windows Phone?
Windows phones must be updated regularly, so you can add the new features requested by users, which are many, in addition to benefiting from the security patches that are added with each update. When there is a new software update, the user is notified so that they can download it via Wi-Fi or mobile data. Let’s take a look at the next steps.
- Initially you must charge the battery of the phone, as you can not do an update if there is not enough battery.
- It’s best to use Wi-Fi to save phone data.
- To start the automatic update, go to the “Settings” menu.
- Now go to the “Update phone” option.
- Select the option “Download updates automatically when my data settings allow it”.
- If, on the other hand, you want to download the update manually, you must do so:
- Click on the “Settings” menu.
- Now choose the section “Update my phone”.
- Click on “Check for updates”.
- Now click on the “Download” button, after checking if updates are available. There are several things you can do:
- Click on “Show Details” and then on “Install”. The phone restarts and the update is installed.
- Click on “Show Details” and then on “Now No”, if you want to do the update later.
- Click on “Preferred Install Time”, and then choose the time you want to do the update.
- After the update, whether immediate or programmed, restart your phone if it doesn’t do it automatically.
- Wait for the configuration to migrate and click “Done” to finish the update.
* Note: If you do not have enough space, you should go to the “Storage Sensor” to free up more space. Or you can use the storage space provided by the SD card inserted in the smartphone.