Today, Spotify has opened a new path that the music industry has wanted to take full advantage of, and that is that it is a great music streaming service that is totally important today. Therefore, it has more than 191 million active users each month, of which 87 million are subscribed to its payment service in order to make optimal use of all its functions and tools. This means that it is no secret that this platform is the leader in music transmission worldwide, thanks to the fact that it distributes music content completely online.
However, although Spotify is seen as the best service of its kind and the most consolidated in several countries, it also presents a serious competition that is distributed on other platforms with good tools as well. Although it has had a notable success, it has also suffered certain ups and downs.
It’s good to know about other alternatives to Spotify that are considered excellent applications for listening to music; that’s why we have carried out a punctual analysis of them in order to offer you the best apps in which you can enjoy the best transmission of music, along with other features of considerable interest and benefits. Best of all, most are available on various operating systems (especially Android and iOS), and are also completely free.
What is it, what is it for and how does Spotify work on Android or iPhone?
This platform known as “Spotify Music” is now the most popular application when listening to music over the Internet and from different devices (computers, mobiles, tablets, televisions, game consoles, speakers and in the car).
It does so legally, and with it, has allowed authors not to be affected by piracy, as was commonly the case. In this sense, it is estimated as an optimal service of music, podcasts and digital videos in streaming that easily gives you access to billions of songs by artists from all over the world and also to other types of content.
This application also gives you the option of choosing between its free version that contains ads and limits some features, and the paid version that allows you to make use of the same platform in a more advanced and complete way.
Now, regarding how it works, in order to log in you must access the Spotify service by downloading its app to your device (whichever one you want), either from its official website or through the famous Android and iOS app stores.
Next, you need to create a user with your preferred password, so that you can store everything you want and manage your account from wherever you want.
Since then, once you install the app, you have to run it and manage the user plan you want to choose to enjoy its features and tools.
It is opportune to inform you about the main plans that it offers to its users, according to the requirements and possibilities of each one; next the same ones:
- Open: This is the totally free service that gives you the possibility to enjoy the music you want, only for 20 hours during the month in the country where you registered. And if you travel abroad, you can use the service for 14 days. Among its particularities, we find that it allows you to share with friends those who are listening in real time, but this option shows advertising at all times.
- Free: It’s another free plan, but you can access it by invitation. Thus, it includes radio stations to listen wherever you want and also adds the database of artists. However, like the previous plan, it works with advertising.
- Unlimited: This is an alternative payment, for which you must pay a total of about 110 dollars per month. As its name indicates, it does not reveal any kind of limit to listen to music both in the country where you registered once, and abroad. In short, it doesn’t show any advertisement during the whole experience.
- Premium: Allows you to manage all its functions without restriction and access the entire content of the platform, even from your mobile device.
Thanks to the fact that it is one of the most famous and important music streaming services of the moment, of course it emits a lot of advantages that all its users should know.
Here are the most relevant benefits of Spotify today:
- It offers a free subscription, which although it doesn’t contain much time, is a good feature for its users to manage the platform and enjoy millions of songs from all genres.
- It guarantees a complete streaming of remarkable quality that everyone likes.
- If you use the paid version, the platform does not show advertising and this is a great relief for users around their comfort.
- It is considered a very simple platform to use. Searches for clues or artists can be handled by anyone.
- The application works perfectly on several platforms, ie on PCs, terminals and mobile devices, tablets and any operating system.
- It provides unlimited music to all its users, an aspect that revolutionized the way music is heard today.
- It exhibits a practically inexhaustible catalogue of music, as it has been stated that it has around 20 million songs.
- If you pay for the “Unlimited” or “Premium” plan, you can make use of the “Spotify Connect” function, which allows you to listen to all the music you want, without the need for an Internet connection.
- It has a section called “Spotify Radio”, which makes it possible for the app to detect the music you like best and thus find a fully personalized content.
As with all online services, the Spotify platform also has a number of drawbacks or disadvantages that you should be aware of and take into account when using this app. These are detailed below:
- The free versions, either “Open” or “Free”, show many limitations and the most notable is that it does not have high quality streaming. This means that you can’t listen to high definition music.
- Unfortunately, it is a service that is not available in all countries.
- Of course, it should be noted that for free plans, shows a constant and annoying advertising that may even look like a commercial radio.
- If you use the free version and want to select particular songs on your smartphone, this is not possible; because lists simply work in random mode.
- Another limitation of the free version is that it doesn’t have Spotify Connect. That’s why you can’t listen to music without an Internet connection, and you can’t sync all the devices you use.
- The application no longer has its own lyrics function. In other words, you can’t currently know the meaning of the lyrics directly from the platform.
List of the best alternative apps to Spotify to play millions of songs for free
It is recommended that you have other options when listening to music directly from your mobile, or from any device and with total simplicity. Therefore, in addition to Spotify, there are also other applications that show excellent features for the playback of any genre of music in streaming and completely free.
Here are the best and most optimal apps:
Google Play Music
Let’s start with this option that you can use from any iOS or Android device, including Android Wear, Android Auto and Chromecast; it works similarly to Spotify; first, because it’s a freemium app (free and paid at the same time).
As for the free version, it contains advertisements and a radio based on songs, artists and albums; it also supports the storage and transmission of up to 50,000 songs from a personal collection at no cost and issues recommendations based on the activity, location, taste and mood of its users.
On the other hand, in reference to its subscription particularities, you must pay 11 dollars, per month or if you want the family plan for six people, you have to pay 16.71 dollars in total. Thus, it gives you access to more than 40 million songs, you can listen to music without an Internet connection, contains no advertising and allows you free access to YouTube Music at no additional cost.
In short, Google Play Music is an ideal service that consecrates millions of songs and thousands of playlists for any occasion.
Video – How to use Google Play Music
Another excellent alternative is this service, native to the renowned YouTube platform, which includes various functions for computers, as well as for Android and iOS mobile phones. In principle, it shows an extremely elegant and simple to use interface, which, in addition to everything else, integrates perfectly with the Google Home loudspeaker.
It also adds live topics to its catalog, and this is hardly found in any other application. Best of all, it’s a completely free platform from any app store. However, it offers a paid or Premium version that costs 11 dollars, and as an addition, it allows you to listen to music and watch videos without having an Internet connection.
It should be mentioned that it is considered a novel streaming music service and for greater interest, gives you the facility to find all kinds of songs, albums, live presentations, remixes and covers that exist. In addition, to simplify the search, you can carry it out by means of a description or by its lyrics, in case you don’t know the name of the track.
Of course, this is the most popular service among iOS users to enjoy unlimited streaming with a monthly subscription plan that can be paid individually or as a family plan.
The first one, has a cost of 11 dollars and the family one, has a price of 16,70 dollars. This allows access to up to 50 million songs and radio stations. For greater coverage, it can be used in Apple Watch and even provides an Android version, although it is not available for any computer operating system.
In reference to its free version, there is not one that is purely free, but only offers a free trial plan that lasts about three months and this can be very advantageous because it is a good time to manage and enjoy the platform, compared to Spotify.
Among other things, Apple Music gives you access to the library stored in iCloud and in addition, it supports 200 vehicle models through the use of CarPlay, i.e. Siri’s voice assistant. Apple Music also lets you create smart playlists and has its own station, concerts, shows, and music videos.
It works since 2003, and this is one of the most common streaming music services on the Internet, which, over time, has been adapting to the new developments in the digital world and therefore shows a perfect support for mobile devices, so you can get its application directly from the Google Play Store or App Store.
Last.fm is a great alternative to Spotify, thanks to the fact that it is a kind of social network of musical tastes and also manages to play music online with the help of YouTube or allows you to buy it directly from iTunes.
In short, this is a service that works for free and for greater advantage, provides reliable data of the most listened to songs in the world in real time, so it is also responsible for segmenting the results according to countries and regions to facilitate searches to the liking of each user.
Additionally, it allows you to visualize an alternative ranking that is usually carried out by the main radio stations worldwide. It also emits great simplicity so that all the people who use your app, see more quickly your favorite artists, albums and tracks, as well as a meticulous pursuit of the most important musical events of the moment.
With a library that adds more than 53 million songs, Deezer Music is an app that although not so massive, provides a service very similar to the recognized Spotify and thus, allows you to listen to music online, communicate privately with the community and receive various recommendations attached to the musical tastes you specify once you register on the platform.
It has a free version that is in random mode and like almost all these recommendations, shows ads for being free.
Now, as for the Premium version of Deezer Music, we mention that it has a price of about 11.10 dollars a month for individual subscription, 16.70 dollars in family rate and 22.30 if Hi/Fi subscription. Among other specifications, the application is available on Windows and Mac OS computers, as well as Android and iOS devices, and accepts connection to Smart TV.
The latter provides the alternative of listening to all the tracks and watching their lyrics on TV to facilitate karaoke sessions wherever you want. Finally, it features a “Flow” feature that combines your favorite tracks with chosen recommendations around the tracks you’ve already marked as favorites.
As another ideal alternative to perfectly replace Spotify, we recommend this application where you can search directly for songs from all genres, artists and other users, if you want.
SoundCloud has been catalogued as an independent website that is in charge of promoting projects that until now, are in their first steps and thus, intends to position itself as one of the main music apps in streaming and of course, has achieved it.
In this sense, you can download it directly from the main app stores for Android and iOS, as well as being able to use it from your PC through their website. Among its most important features, we highlight that gives you the ability to discover the latest music, various songs by genre, create your own playlists and share them.
You also have the option of pausing, jumping or playing certain songs from the blocking screen, as well as recording sounds and sharing them directly to Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.
Among other alternatives, we give you to know Grooveshark, which allows you to enjoy good music from anywhere and at any time, with excellent sound quality. This free mobile app has been involved in illegal problems, but today, it ensures a qualified service to give you the best assistance when it comes to streaming music from your mobile phone.
It exhibits a completely extensive catalog that includes songs and groups of various genres, to suit the different tastes of its users. However, it should be noted that this application is only available for Android devices, meaning that it can only be downloaded from your website or through the Google Play Store.
One of its most striking advantages is that it does not require a prior registration to start using it, but if it is important to know that if you do not, the platform will surely show you pop-up ads asking you to do so, although, although it is true, it is not that this ad interrupts the reproductions.
Like most other solutions, Grooveshark gives you the tools to create and change playlists to your liking. Its interface is very fluid, the search engine it contains is accurate and effective, the player is simple and adapts specifically in colors depending on the artist.
To conclude, Tidal is the last solution we advise you to try as an alternative to Spotify, because it refers to the first music service that offers high fidelity sound quality, that is, Studio Master quality that differentiates it from a large series of apps of this type.
From Tidal, you get unlimited access to more than 59 million songs of different genres, 240,000 music videos in high definition, without blurred images and best of all, it does not broadcast commercials during the experience, this being one of the best features of the platform. It also provides series, podcast and promises exclusive concerts for partners.
It offers a premium service that has a cost of $22.29 when paid individually or $33.44 for a family plan. But, if you are a Vodafone subscriber, they can offer you an offer of up to two years of free subscription.
On the other hand, the application shows stories behind the music, which translates into musical articles added along with interviews. It also has the facility to allow all its users to create their own playlist or music collection, with the wide variety of tracks, artists and albums it displays.
Finally, it contains an offline mode to save your playlists and enjoy them offline on up to three different devices. You can download it from the Google Play Store or the App Store.