Before you start talking about how to update drivers in Windows operating systems, you need to know what that word means. Not everyone really knows what a driver is and the needs they have within a computer. Therefore, the first thing to do is to define what a driver is and what it is used for on a computer.
A driver is nothing more than a file that tells the operating system of our computer, how to use the components, devices and peripherals that we have connected to it. In other words, it is the link between a component or hardware and the core of the operating system.
Without the specific controllers, the operating system would not be able to detect the peripherals that we have connected to the equipment and there will not exist an interface that allows to use them, since no type of action will be emitted to be able to make them work. Therefore, the drivers must always be in their latest version so that there are no problems of recognition of the elements in the system.
How to update drivers in Windows 7?
When we have a driver or driver in poor condition installed on our computer, there can be a situation of instability in the system itself, and even one of the much feared blue screens of Windows.
Do not despair, because in principle these drivers are updated automatically, but you must suspect that they are not in their most current version, when these bugs appear for no reason. Be that as it may, it is essential that you know how to install the latest driver updates on your computer.
The easiest way to get all the drivers updated in Windows 7 is through the “Device Manager”, which corresponds to a list of all the hardware that is installed on that computer. Next, we will give you a few simple steps to be able to update the drivers automatically using this tool:
- First, you must click on the “Start” menu to go to this section. As you probably won’t find it, we recommend that you type in the search bar, which is at the bottom: “Device Manager” to access directly. The computer hardware is shown as a list of different categories: screen adapters, image devices, sound…
- If you click on the arrow for each category, you can see the devices associated with it.
- Enter the category that matches the driver you want to update, and double-click the one you need to update.
- A configuration window will appear. In this window, click on the “Controller” tab and click on the button where it says “Update driver”.
- Now click on the option “Automatically search for updated driver software”. This will locate and download the most current drivers for that driver, if it is not already in the latest version.
- Note: In principle, this Windows procedure does it in a unilateral way, making updates of the equipment little by little and staggeredly in the time. But if you detect failures in some device, it could be that the update of one of its drivers has not been carried out or it has finished badly and for that reason, it is preferable to carry out it manually.
How do I update drivers in Windows 10?
In Windows 10 the driver or driver update system is very simple, as everything is done from the “Control Panel”. There are programs that can do this update in a simple way, but we would lose the feature that Windows gives us to do it directly. The steps that we must follow are those that are indicated next:
- First of all, as indicated above, go to the “Start” menu and click on the “Control Panel” option or, as shown above, type “Control Panel” in the search bar.
- Then search for “Device Manager”.
- You will see a list of devices corresponding to all the hardware connected to your computer.
- Double-click on the device you want to update.
- Now, right-click on the device whose driver you want to update.
- A drop-down list of options will open, select “Update driver software”.
- To always search automatically, click the “Automatically search for updated driver software” option. This way, you won’t have to worry about doing this on future occasions.
- From then on, Windows will take care of the rest and finish doing the complete update.
Download and install the drivers for my Windows computer for free
If you want to get rid of worries, we’re going to show you a list of programs that allow you to better maintain the drivers installed on your computer. These are the following:
- Driver Talent: In its PRO version, it allows you to recover drivers from old devices. In addition, it allows you to repair drivers that are corrupted or misconfigured or installed.
- Device Doctor: This is the ideal program. It allows you to search for and update drivers automatically. Perform an analysis of the components and peripherals of your computer and check that they are all in the latest version available. Come on, just a couple of clicks and you’re ready to go.
- Driver Pack Solution: Contains all the drivers that your computer may need and installs them without you needing to have an Internet connection available at that time. This program also allows you to update other software contained in your computer.
- Driver Identifier: It is a very easy to use program that has a portable version so you can run on different computers without having to install it. It can be included in a toolkit for repairing computers.
- Snappy Driver Installer: This program has the advantage that it can update drivers offline. After an exhaustive analysis of your computer to check the status of the drivers, it allows you to select on a screen all the updates you want to make with a stroke of a pen.
With any of these softwares, you will have under control and continuously analyzed and updated all the drivers or controllers of your computer.