Windows 7 is a version of the operating system created by Microsoft in 2009. With a market share of 41.55% at the beginning of 2018, it is an operating system similar to its predecessor (Windows Vista), in multiple of its functionalities. But, what we are interested in bringing you in this article is a step-by-step guide and easy to use; and if you have ever wondered: How to upgrade Windows 7 to the latest version?, you are in the right place.
The company intends to include several interesting improvements, all of them focused on a much cleaner, lighter and interactive style. The interface created for this operating system is very interesting, complying with features that already existed beforehand but adding customization options such as, for example, saving complete themes, with the color of windows, images built, sounds and screen saver.
The calculator has also been improved, adding programming and statistical functions. In short, we find advances that are made in each new update to satisfy the user and make life easier and safer when performing tasks with our computer.
How to update the Windows 7 operating system safely?
This operating system already has an expiration date, as the company Microsoft has decided to support this system and create updates only until 2020. Now, if you have an official license, they offer you the option to upgrade to Windows 10 easily without having to pay a supplement. This will encourage many of the users. Today we focus on version 7.
Upgrading this software to the most current version is quite simple, if you know the methods to follow for it. Here are the most direct steps to make it a success:
- You must position the mouse on the taskbar and click on the symbol or “Start” button.
- Look for “Control Panel”, in the section “System and Security” and then, going into “Windows Update” we click on it.
- On this screen, you will see a warning that there are updates available and the level of importance of each of them. It also informs you of the size of the update. You will also have the option “Install updates”; click on it.
- The installation is done without the need for user intervention; it may be that when finished you will be asked to restart the computer. With this, that’s it, the new functionalities will have been installed in your operating system.
- Note: If when accessing Windows Update we do not see any available updates, we can perform a manual search by clicking on “Check for updates”, which is on the left side, so Windows 7 will try to find new update files available for download and installation.
Download and install the new Windows 7 update automatically: Configuration
Once you have your operating system in the most current version, you can determine how you want your computer to perform when it has updates that affect the operating system. That way, you won’t have to manually update every time. In order to be able to automate the process a little and make them by themselves, you must follow the steps below:
- In the same way as the previous steps, you must access the “Control Panel” and once inside, click on “System and Security”. Then, go to “Windows Update”.
- To be able to see all the client updates, click on the text with a blue line that indicates that we have pending updates. This is a hyperlink, which takes us to a screen where they tell us the new packages of files that we want to install.
- By default all of them are marked, but you can make a selection of the ones you want to install at that moment and leave others pending. Although, we always recommend that our operating system is in the most updated version for security reasons.
- To configure the next updates, click on the option that appears on the left side where it says “Change Configuration”. In this section, is where we can play a little with the way in which future updates are going to be made.
- The configuration options that allow us to choose Windows 7 are the following:
- Install updates automatically (recommended by Windows itself).
- Download updates, but let me choose if I want to install them.
- Check for updates, but let me choose if I want to download and install them.
- Do not check for updates (not recommended by Windows).
- After choosing the most convenient option for you, click on “Accept”. This setting will start working the next time you restart your computer. So, depending on how you’ve set up your updates, your team will take care of them in the future.
FAQ: What are the problems with updating Windows 7?
There are two main problems that could appear when upgrading Windows 7; let’s see how we can fix them so that these errors do not prevent us from working with this operating system.
Windows update stays “thinking“
In order to remove the “Checking for Updates” message, all you have to do is intervene from the command window.
- To open such a window, click on the start menu of the taskbar.
- Then, in the search box, type “cmd” (without quotation marks).
- Click on the “Run as administrator” option.
- Type the command “net stop wuauserv”. Click on the intro to execute.
- It will then ask you to restart your computer.
- Note: If this doesn’t work, you can download the update directly from the Microsoft website or from right here, install it yourself and check for updates again.
Windows Update does not find updates
This error may have appeared in previous versions, it is now completely fixed, but if it happens again, it’s best to re-download the most current files relating to Microsoft updates.
- Note: To avoid having these problems, you can consult a bug fixer on the Microsoft page, which through a series of questions can lead to the resolution of the problem of the update. You can go directly from here.